Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Awesome!

We’re all doing it, this watering down of language through repetition and word misuse…. this seeming inability to hold more than a handful of adjectives in our brains at a time. We all have these word cycles… periods of time when everything and everyone is cool or maybe everything is like you know like something else and definitely I know people who have a shit ton of suck going on in their life.  And when a word achieves it’s new Mad Lib, fill in any blank status we toss it back and forth to one another thinking we’re communicating something. It's ridiculous! None of us know what any of us is talking about most of the time! We don’t want to actually take the time and effort to express ourselves- but still- it deserves a noise, by god! That’s why most of the time the words that do this have a cave man quality satisfying sound to them. Like Fuck. Can’t get enough of THAT bam-wowy of an anything word, can we?!

And that’s another thing. We all keep making up words and feeling fucking clever about it. Granted, sometimes it is fucking clever but “bam-wowy?" That’s just stupid. It’s not like I just filled some missing word gap in the English language… like now we’re all going to rejoice that there’s finally a word to describe something never before put into words…. It just means I don’t fucking know the word that already exists and I’m too fucking lazy to go look one up. I mean seriously people… are we now celebrating the crap innovations brought about by laziness and ignorance?  Don’t answer…. We might have to do something about it if we name it and I have a lot of online surveys to do, plus there’s my status to update on my five social networks.

I’ve noticed everything is awesome for me lately. You know, pronounced ouwsum. Of course,  not really. My life is certainly NOT particularly awesome. That’s the funny part. Like the choice of word has to be AWESOME to contrast with the reality. It’s annoying. Not as annoying as my “dude” phase but at least then I could blame drug use.  (awesome!) So I go through my day and everything is awesome. Does it even mean anything anymore? Am I really walking around in awe at the minutia of my daily life!?! Then again who says that windex isn’t awesome!?! I mean seriously…. It’s blue… I spray it on a surface, wipe the surface and HELLo0o0o0o0o0 shiny fresh scented sparkle splendor! That IS indeed awe inspiring if you stop and think about it. So in short…    awesome is awesome and fuck you, you super cool varied vocabulary snobs. Like FUCK YOU in your awesome!

I guess what I’m saying is….. This is a sucky situation but I’m angry and resentful that doing something about it might mean effort on my part.  So carry on!! Carry on…

February 16, 2010 

No comments:

Post a Comment