Monday, January 19, 2009

Dominant Genes

“His hat doesn’t stay on. His head is huge.”

“He gets that from you.” He looked like he believed it when he said it, too.  I stared at him in disbelief.

“Have you SEEN your head? My head is big too but YOURS has a certain shape.” I laughed “and anyway what are you talking about. He’s a miniature YOU. I have no idea how it is none of my kids looks like ME”

He raised and wriggled a brow… I mean his brow… “So… are you saying maybe my genes are DOMINANT?” I giggled at him as he moved in closer.

“If it makes you feel tough sure we can say that.”

“maybe if you’d had babies with FLOWER BOY” he does a little wriggle that sends his hips back and forth and then it crawls up his back with the words right there “then maybe your genes would have had a chance.”

“FLOWER BOY?” I laughed loudly. “What are you talking about?”

“Oh you know. The One you gave up for me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You know. Artsy or wordy and probably he would read books and talk and woooo you.” I snorted disbelievingly.

“My genes let your genes have the outside. That’s all. I’m in there.” then I mused  “Could be he’s my flower boy. Except the only butterflies I get with him is when I catch him scaling the book shelf.” We watched Little Man clomp by in four inch black Mary Jane heels and  large lime green knitted stocking cap with a ball on top. His diapered bottom made adorable swishing sounds just above his dimpled thighs and he shot me some googly flirt eyes as he turned the corner and shuffled into the kitchen to see what big sis would say about his outfit.

He changed the subject. “You can’t see yourself as well as you think you can. I wish you could see what I see.”  His words at the end hurried up to get out of him and he ended shaking his head, frustrated he couldn’t find the words he wanted. My breath came out in a rush and I stared at him a long time.

“Dominant indeed. I hope you intend to back that shit up.”

“Oh I’ll do that and more.”

“Oh REALLY! Well, What are you waiting for?”

“You. I’m waiting for you.”

“Lordy lordy I must’ve been a saint in a past life to have wrangled you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment