Friday, January 16, 2009

The Wind In Corbett

We were having lunch in the nook. That’s because I started another quilt and took over the dining room table again. The Man just averts his eyes to my projects at this point. We were having pizza pockets (evil in a pouch) and pasta. I’ve avoided the grocery store for over a week now. *arm pumps* It won’t be easy holding out much longer and The Man plans to work through another weekend mostly to avoid Winco. Or that’s the way it plays in my head anyway.  It could be that it’s not as easy to keep me kept as I might like to think. Mostly you could just hear the loud chomping of children consuming food, my thoughts regarding the contents of the cupboards slip and slide around us silently. Then Daughter says “The little kids didn’t know how windy it was and most of them fell down as soon as they got off the bus.”

I immediately visualize the younger brother from A Christmas Story, bundled to the point that he can’t get up when he falls down. I saw the kindergarteners rolling off the bus like snow balls with mittens and boots poking out. Laughter was unavoidable. “They fell DOWN?” I asked, hoping for further amusing details.

“Yeah, they stepped off that last step and just fell over.”

“Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahahahah!” I cleared my throat and struggled to rearrange my face into the proper patterns of concern for the children’s well being. “Oh dear, those poor kids.”

“Yeah.” She snickered. “The bus driver just said ‘are you okay?’ and they all said that they were.”  I nodded and shrugged, agreeing that there wasn’t much else that could be done.


*******************************************************************

The biggest problem with the wind is your car doors. The moment you release the latch the doors pretty much blow off. Unless you’re facing the other direction in which case you’re pushing with everything you have to get out of the car. Add to that a twenty something pound toddler in one arm and a 3rd grade Grassland Diorama Project in the other and there’s serious trouble getting everyone IN the car.

Little Man buries his face in my neck yelling “I need a HAAAAAAT mama!” everywhere we go. He had a hat. I let him pick it out. It’s this hideous red spider man monstrosity. Unfortunately for him, he has a GINORMOUS head just like The Man and I and the hat only stays on his head for a couple minutes before slowly sliding up his forehead and then POPPING off his pinhead skull and disappearing so I don’t bring it along anymore.

Yesterday when we made it safely back in our house, Little Man was gasping to get his breath back. He hadn’t tucked his face in this time. “It WINNY outside! Blowing my face off!”


************************************************************************

SO what they say about the wind in Corbett is true. But it’s only true in the same way that people talk about the rain all the time in the northwest. That is.. Yes it rains here. And yes it’s windy here.  But… mostly I’d like people to get the fuck over the weather already.

No comments:

Post a Comment