Monday, January 26, 2009

To Onion or Not to Onion

“I’m about to put this onion on my sandwich.” he warned, laughing.

“Alright. And then what? Some ham? Are you going to put HAM on the sandwich next?” I wasn’t sure what the game was but I like to win anyway.

“I’m just saying. If you want to try and kiss me anytime soon you should know I’m putting onion on.”

“Oh. So it’s last call for tongue kissing.” I continued mixing the second batch of cookie dough. “Good to know.”

“I don’t want any complaints later if you’re going to be kissing me” he hinted again.

“If I didn’t know any better I’d think you want me to stop you from putting that onion on that sandwich.”

“Not at all. The onion makes the sandwich delicious.” He dangled the onion slice between two fingers. “But if you insist… I will not put the onion on the sandwich.” I swear singles without kids are seriously missing out on proposition styles.

“Please. I insist you eat the onion. I want you to enjoy your sandwich.”

“So you’re going to kiss me anyway?” he looked hopeful.

“OOOOOOOh! I see. So you want to have your onion and have me too.” I shook my head at him teasing with my eyes. “For shame.”

“Can’t blame a guy for trying.” he finished building his sandwich and before he could lift it I crossed the kitchen and kissed him.

I made the moon rise and the sun set. I summoned wolves to howl and rippled the nearest lakes.  Just about when he might have carried me off to a more private place to allow his ham to sweat and the cheese to congeal and the bread to stiffen…leaving only the onion intact......

“What are you DOING!?!” Daughter asked, astonished and mortified at us.

Her sandwich did not contain onions.

Little Man stood up on his chair and announced, “there’s chocolate on my fingers and it’s LICIOUS like mommy!” before licking his fingers enthusiastically.

He does take his sandwich with onions when there are no cookies available.

I patted The Man on his shoulder and went back to the cookie making process. “Enjoy your onion, it‘s all that's left for us married types anyway; the freedom to eat onions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment