Monday, November 16, 2009

Ultra Lights

He sat on a stool with his arms on the counter in front of him. Every once in a while he’d lift his beer and take a long swallow. They didn’t say much other than an occasional observation about whomever happened to be singing karaoke or whatever happened to be going on with a ball on the screen. She liked him, his quiet and the smile that was ready for anyone around.

“Wanna smoke?” she asked holding the hard pack open toward him.

“Sure.” he lifted an eyebrow mockingly at the ultra lights.

“I know, right? I can’t handle the real deal but they‘ll kill me just the same. Story of my life.”

Their coats went on easy and stepping out in front of the pub was like stepping out on ones own back porch they’d done it alone so often. She watched him take a drag off the cigarette and finally he returned her gaze with only a tiny question in his eyes.

So she asked him “Are you attracted to me at all?”

“What kind of question is that?” He had that implacable quality only the perpetually stoned really manage.

“No stalling. Just tell the truth. We‘re buddies you‘re not going to get in trouble here. It‘s for science.”

“I don’t know. Sure.” he swished the air a foot from her body up and down.  “You’re hot. You know that.”

“Yeah. But I mean do you feel anything standing next to me? Like can you feel me from over there?”

“Feel what? What are you up to?”

“I don’t know. I guess I’m trying to conduct an experiment.” She stepped up in front of him until a deep breath would have their bodies colliding. “What about now?” 

“I definitely know you’re standing there.”

She put her hand on the back of his neck and pulled his head toward hers. “Now don’t move. At all. Don’t move a muscle.” She leaned in, her face closer and closer to his. And then almost a whisper when their eyes glanced one another, “Shut your eyes.” 

His breath came quicker as her mouth hovered there over his and after a slow silent count to ten she let her bottom lip just barely brush his lips. And then she drew her head back fast. His eyes shot open as she let go of his neck and stepped away to take a drag on her cigarette. “I think they’re calling my name inside. To karaoke.” She slid her cigarette in the upside down space needle ash tray.

“Wait.  What was that? Just now…. ”

“Nothing. Ultra lights. I should quit or smoke a real fucking cigarette.”




November 16, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment