Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Taking Turns

I leaned over the bar waiting for the bartender to run my card. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed an older guy on my right, looking at me. “Let me see that.” he said making a gesture toward my right hand and I dutifully held the hand up so he could see the ring better. It never really fit and I turned it so the sparkles were on top where they‘re supposed to be, where I could see them again.

“Wow. I noticed that thing trying to blind me.” he explained his staring, though I noted the ring was not on my ass where his eyes had lingered the longest.  “That’s some ring.” he observed and I looked at it and waited for it to blind me but it didn’t then just as it never had.

I thanked him. It seems if you have a big rock dangling off one of your fingers, a man will mention it as though their acknowledgement that you’re owned makes it okay for them to start a conversation. Like if you see a car  you like and want to peek under the hood you better at least nod to the guy signing the lease.

He lifted his glass up and pushed it through the air toward me saying “cheers” and then “it’s your turn”

I said nothing, not knowing what he meant. He repeated himself “It’s your turn.”  I smiled at him, unsure what he wanted from me other than possibly my ass. I didn’t know if he meant it was his turn to receive a compliment or if he realized I had taken something I didn’t have any right to or if he just didn’t notice I didn’t have a drink to lift and clink with his.

He turned to the bartender and raised his voice the way he had his glass, in good cheer “have you seen this ring, Jesse? Can you believe she’s married?” Jesse nodded and smiled as a bartender does, always multitasking and she handed me the credit slip.

“I’m not married.” I told him and he appraised me with his eyes.

“You wear the ring, don’t you?”

“Yeah.” and I shrugged, handing the slip with my signature on it back to Jesse and lifting a limp hand to let my fingers flutter as I turned to go.  “But it doesn’t wear me.”

“It’s your turn.” he insisted as I walked out.

And it is. I’m going to take it. And I'm taking my ass with me. 


June 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment