Thursday, August 7, 2008

Untitled part three

It was three days in when the roommates former boyfriend caught me on the phone.

"Oh.. Hi Josiah. How are you?"

"Dew(ed)! What the hell is going on over there? She won't take my calls!"

"Oh, over here? What do you mean?" I had no idea what Roommate had told him to explain the sudden break-up.

"You have strange old guys living in your apartment? I'm really worried about you guys. After two years she just calls it off, just like that? IS she sleeping with him? Did she sleep with him the first night they met?"

"I'm sorry, Josiah. I really don't know what to say."  He was watching me from the couch. Observing every nuance of every moment knowingly. "It's not really any of my business…." I trailed off turning my body away from my audience.

"None of your business, aren't we friends? Is that over too?"

"Of course we're friends, Josiah." his pain was palpable even over the phone and I really felt bad for him. "I'm just not going to be a go-between for you and Roommate."

"I'm so lonely and messed up right now. I just need someone to talk to. Do you want to hang out?"

"Well, sure I guess. Umm… it's probably best if you don't come here."

"I'll come pick you up."

"Alright… I'll watch for you. You probably shouldn't come to the door either." he sighed loudly.

"What are you hostages?"

"Just honk or something, okay?" I hung up with Josiah unsure of whether it was right to hang out with him.

"That was Roommate's boyfriend." he stated with a  smirk.

"Yeah. He's pretty upset." I said, my forehead scrunched up with concern.

"He's going to put the moves on you."

"He is not!"

"Just be prepared."

"He's not going to put the moves on me!"

"Wanna bet?"

"No I'm not going to bet!"

"That's because you know he wants you."

"I do not! We're friends! He's Roommates boyfriend,"

"Ex-boyfriend." he interrupted me.

"Yeah well barely." I said, rolling my eyes. "I've never even liked him much. But they were together a long time and we became friends."

"How long?"

"A couple years."

"Wow. Your roommate moves fast." he observed, I think to hear my reaction. And then he added. "And in all that time he's never touched you? Never hugged you?"

"That doesn't mean anything! People hug."

"You don't hug."

"You think you know me?" I laughed too loudly.

"I know I do. You know you're an open book but you don't want to be and you try hard to hide it."

"Yeah well. You don't know everything." I responded lamely and he smiled at me. There was a honking sound outside that made me wonder if Josiah had been calling from a payphone nearby. "Well, that's for me. See ya later."

"I'll be up." he said and I shrugged before heading out to Josiah's car.

No comments:

Post a Comment