Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer Arrives

We're on the edge of summer. School let out last Friday, we had a busy blast weekend and now this week we're floundering around forming our new routines, testing one another's limits and cursing the cloudy skies. Oh sure, it sounds fantastic, to have a summer vacation along with the kids. Long, hot lazy days to spend on fancy lawn furniture sun bathing in my favorite bikini, smoking and sipping a tall cold glass of dew……. Maybe drawing out my book binges as long as I want, maybe napping………..

*deep breath* ahhhhhh…. Let's take a moment to imagine such a thing.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Heh. Yeah. Right.

Now all three of them are here…. All day long! And two of them are too old for naps! I don't know what to do with them for the three hours Thatch needs to nap, they're so freakin' LOUD…. Ball gags anyone? *sigh* heh. Not really. I did let them read for two hours straight today. Eventually Calli asked "Has it been a half hour yet? It feels like I've been reading forever! My eyes don't want to move anymore!" Bahahahahahahaahahahaha!

Shush, it's good for them. Letting Thatcher sleep for as long as possible is good for all of us.

When he finally woke up I trundled us all over to the library, clearly we're going to need plenty of books for them to read. Thatch was so well rested he acted like a rat on crack in a book shelf maze, me marching after him in my best serious mommy whisper while he laughed high-pitched and maniacally. He also made use of his ambulance impersonations as loud as he could to get the full echoing effect across to his cooing and smiling audience of strangers throughout the big open room.

Have I taken the time to mention the deep abiding joy I take in spending my every waking moment taking care of my children? NO? my garsh what a glaring over-sight on my part. I certainly should do that….. And as Soon as I feel it, I will.

I sure didn't feel it this evening when Tim breezed in, spent 30 minutes staring at us all from a chair and then went to bed. Nope. I especially didn't feel it when he said something along the lines of "I just worked for sixteen hours" in an effort to explain why he wouldn't be helping me get either kid in bed.

That's probably why I said "My gawd, sixteen hours. You must be exhausted. I wonder what my hours would be…. Hmmmm if I could just find the time clock so I could punch out…. Shit honey I don't see one anywhere!" I was exploring under the sheets, tickling him while talking. He hates to be tickled but tolerates it from me. When I say tolerates it I mean there's nothing he can do to stop me.

"I guess that's why you make the big bucks, eh baby?" He teased

"Yup. Guess so." I sighed and left him to sleep. The truth is, I do better than making the big bucks. I almost never think about money at all. What could be better than that?

The good news is that I made it to the Volunteer Luncheon put on for Parent Volunteers by the school this morning and had some time to chat with Isabelle and Calli's teacher for next year. Found out what they need to know for 3rd grade. Looks like we'll be making sure they've memorized the multiplication table. I find this an excellent opportunity to learn that damn thing myself. Whahoo! Other than that I'm going to the Learning Palace tomorrow to get some fun stuff and we'll be having school time during Thatch's naps. Then we all need shoes so we can keep the boxes to make dioramas. BIG FUN! I checked out The Indian In The Cupboard to read aloud to the girls in the evenings… we called Calli and put the phone on speaker. Worked great, even with Thatch crawling around on me.

I love, love, love the way Isabelle's eyes get huge when she just can NOT believe what she's hearing during the story. LOVE IT. And she's really crossed another of those invisible thresholds in her reading, her fluency. I was barely able to pull her nose out of "The Boxcar Children" to make her go to bed at nine pm. Makes me damn proud and happy for her, I would seriously be sad if she didn't love reading, if it didn't feel like breathing to her. The fact that she gets that at seven is just such a gift. She doesn't really know it yet but someday she will and she'll be grateful.

So…. Our summer is off to a pretty good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment