Monday, June 30, 2008

Transformers

"Why am I always blamed for your magical transformation from Asshole Tim to Family Man?" I questioned Tim. We were mid-story, the story of who he was before me. "I didn't do anything. I think it was just timing, you were the age people start to settle down anyway….. How old were you again? Like twenty-four, right? There's a reason insurance rates go down at twenty-five for men, you know. And it's not me." It annoyed me that even his mother had called about six months into the relationship to thank me, in tears, for reforming her son.

"If I hadn't met you….. I don't know where I'd be. I'd still be living with my brother spending money on useless shit and drinking." Tim was talking that way he does when he's had more than a beer, as though his tongue is too large for his mouth. He was actually way past that and all the way to sentimental bastard.

"That's a crock of shit. People give you no credit, and you go along with it! I didn't change you. I mean maybe I pointed out the path but you decided to change course. That's it."

"Dew(ed) he's saying "You make me a better man." in his own… Tim way!" T admonished me for somehow missing this meaningful moment. The rest of their Going Away Party guests had long since gone home, leaving me, Tim, and T n' T Pringle out on the balcony, snacking on appetizers and hiding from the loud live music pulsing in the The Buffalo Gap.

I snorted. "I just happened to be there at the right time and…"

"And I scooped her up fast before she could get away."

"How could I get away? You were indivertible, calling me every day with the talking and talking. You were the one night stand who refused to go away!" I laughed remembering it.

"Tim was talking and talking?" T laughed in mock disbelief.

"That's why I have nothing left to talk about now!" Tim joked. "I told all my stories in the first two weeks!"

"What about you guys?" I steered the conversation away from us. "Tell me about how you guys met again."

"January 25th" T declared and placed his glass on the table with authority.

"He knows the date." she smiled "I was sixteen and he was fifteen, didn't even have his driver's license yet," she laughed "My friend from church and I were talking on the phone and he said here-talk to him and passed the phone to T. We started talking and then it was arranged that he would be at church on.."

"January 25th!" T inserted with sparkling eyes.

"When the day came," She continued seamlessly "I was putting my make-up on in the car, well not really make-up, I was a church girl but applying my lip gloss and smoothing my unruly brows. I was so nervous and excited to finally meet him in person and then there he was in the parking lot so I had to run inside to finish! He thought I snubbed him."

"She ran away as soon as she saw me!" He explained.

"Sunday school lasted an eternity, all the flirting and looking at each other the entire time!" She finished rather dreamily.

"And then I had to ride the train all the way out to break up with…."

"Yeah! He had a girlfriend he didn't tell me about!" She accused.

"and now here you are, more years than it's kind to mention later." I teased them. "It's a great story, I don't think there are many out there who manage to stay with their first anymore."

"Yep, we transformed together." he said.

"Awwww….." she said.

"Bullshit!" I joked "I bet you're the same assholes you've always been, just like Tim!"

No comments:

Post a Comment