Friday, July 18, 2008

Precious Naptime

Standing there in my bikini in the cool dark of the garage I watched him draw lines with his pencil on the blue prints laid out in front him. On days when the office is too hot, or too crowded he does some of his work from home. "Lil Dew went to the BBQ with D." I mentioned pointedly and added "Little Man's napping."

"That's nice." he remarked distractedly. "See, right here? That's the roof… they need scaffolding here, but it's slanted so it will need to go here… and I will need these here…" his voice trailed off when he could see I was less than interested in the details of his work. "Look you have goose bumps." he noticed and ran his hand softly along the side of my abdomen.

"It's cold in here. I've been floating in the pool soaking up the sun." I explained. He turned in his chair and made movements suggesting he needed to get back to work and I moved toward the door. "Are you thirsty?" I asked.

"Nah…" he waived me off. Back in the kitchen I filled my glass with Dew and sipped some. I wandered outside onto the deck and smoked a cigarette. The stillness in and around the house was irritating some hidden lonely place in me. It was impossible to think he actually wanted to miss this opportunity.  I found myself standing in the garage again.

"Hi." I said lamely but he barely glanced up. My fingers played with the ribbons on the side of my bikini bottom idly then went up behind me and tugged the strings on the back of the top. It slid to the floor nearly soundlessly. I watched as he brushed away eraser bits and furrowed his brow in concentration, fighting the urge to cross my arms. My hands had to be doing something and they made their way back to the strings on each hip tugging slowly until the top and bottom joined and became bikini again, a silky green puddle on the floor under me.

Finally his phone rang, breaking his concentration and jolting my entire body. His eyes were on me when he answered "Hello, this is The Man with The Company." A grin was on his face, playful sparkles in his eyes until the conversation became serious, it was an actual customer wanting scaffolding. I debated crawling into his lap anyway but knew it wouldn't change anything, like it or not I would wait until he was done. The walk to the bedroom was long, hearing him speaking in business tones most of the way, but the sheets felt smooth and cool on my still hot skin. After half an hour I was nearly asleep.

"Hey, what are you doing?" he asked, bringing me aware of him in the bed next to me.

"Just relaxing." I said and added with a grin, "Naked."

"Oh I know that." He held my bikini in one hand, the jumble of strings dangling from his fingers. "You dropped something in the garage." I inched my way closer to him while he was talking, sliding my body next to his just in time to respond to him with a kiss. The kiss had to say everything, had to wake him up, had to be the magic we needed. And it might have. Anything is possible.

But his phone rang again. He didn't immediately run to answer it, he did struggle with the choice. It was three rings before he pulled away and four before he was sprinting down the hall. "I'll just answer this one and then put it on vibrate he explained on his way out of our bed." I nodded but I was already untangling my swim suit to tie it back on. If I hurried I might be able to swim and sunbathe another half an hour or even forty-five minutes until Little Man would wake up wanting a snack. I understood, nap time is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment