Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The New Old House

The house we lived in before was newer. It was smaller. It was brighter. It was located in the perfect spot. (other than schools)

It was easier.

Let me tell you about the troubles we have had with new older house in the last two weeks.


*The hot water heater was leaking. The Man came upstairs from the basement to inform me of this and I said "Should we get a bucket?" and he laughed at me. When I went downstairs the hot water heater was pouring hot water out like a fire man's hose. So we call the property management company and they send a plumber who informs us the hot water heater was set at the highest possible temperature and pressure. He "fixed" it and now it just leaks a trickle. 

*sobs*

Do you know what it is like going back to regulated temperatures and pressure when you thought the glorious past was regular? We were all taking showers one after another! I was sanitizing the sink with boiling water from the faucet! I could fill the bathtub for muddy toddler man in under thirty seconds!


*The roof is leaking into the attic space and missing shingles. They sent a roofer. No word yet on what's going to happen with that.  And to be honest it doesn't effect us much as far as stress goes since it's not our house. The roofer didn't seem to know that though and my cavalier attitude looked like home owner denial to him. He said "Mrs. McPeterMan the roof is missing shingles all over.. This is not just one spot needing a patch!" I smiled and said "Sure, okay, just let me know if you need anything. And I'm not actually the Mrs." shutting the door between us. Ahahahaha! Let him put THAT in his pipe and smoke it.

*There were bugs. Apparently the owner decided to open all the screen less windows and air the place out the night and day before we moved in. So the house is filled with these crawling flying bugs.  I think they're called Boxelder bugs but don't really know. Bugs don't really bother me but sharing the house with an entire colony sort of sucks. I've directed The Man to spend fifty percent of his home time on insect removal and they're nearly gone.

*The sink was DISGUSTING. White porcelain installed in 1971 far as I can tell. I figure they put it in when they were installing the orange colored wood cabinetry. Listen people, I had a stainless steal sink at the last place. People would comment on it's cleanliness. I cannot live with a stained sink. So I looked up cleaning tricks online, scrubbed it out with white vinegar and rinsed… than soaked towels in oxiclean and left them against all the walls and bottom of the sink for half an hour or so then scrubbed that off… it was spectacular. Some chips still there but the grime stains were gone. Then a day later…. What the chuck!?! Nasty. Know why? NO DISPOSAL. But my family hasn't adapted so… yeah. Pretty fucking gnarly.  IF anyone can explain to me why we can't have a disposal because it's a septic tank without mentioning shit that would be great.

*We moved into a bigger place because we needed more room. Before we had a three bedroom with barely a dining area and a garage we were multi-purposing for several uses. Now we have rooms we never go in. Like the toddler's bedroom for example. It's ALL THE WAY upstairs and some days that might as well be in another county. I think he misses his toys. Whenever people come over he begs them to make the journey up to his room with him. Then there's that middle room up there.. We don't' know what it is. And there's a breakfast nook which I love but we don't really have enough chairs… so breakfast and lunch the chairs are in the nook and then before dinner we drag them into the dining room lol

*GAS. I need it now. I'm burning fossil fuels like never before between the heat and the drive. I've filled my tank more times in the last two weeks than I used to in six months. Of course a lot of that is due to the fact that I'm still running to the other house and my vehicle has the hitch so it pulls the trailer loads of shit here but still….. It's a lot of effing gas.


Eh. Guess I'm done. Not really complaining.. Every place and house has quirks to get used to.



UPDATE!

I looked the bugs up... they are Boxelder bugs and sweet jeezus these other weird little red bugs I've noticed are the BABIES! OH GAWD SOMEBODY HELP US!!!

"Boxelder bugs are primarily a nuisance because they enter homes and other buildings, often in large numbers. Fortunately, they do not bite people and are essentially harmless to property. When abundant, they can stain walls, curtains, and other surfaces with their excrement."


*screaming*

No comments:

Post a Comment