Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Yawning Monsters

The days have been long. The time change and getting up at six am will do that to a person. Yesterday evening I was particularly exhausted. Extra tired mostly because my brain had thought Monday was going to be a day off … an extra day in the weekend. SO when, on Sunday evening, we realized that was incorrect it set off a whirlwind of unexpected activity that seemingly hadn't stopped for one second until that moment, Monday night.

I was sitting on the love seat, piecing a quilt. The Man was sitting on the overstuffed chair staring into space the way he does one hour before and one hour after he sleeps. Little Man was running laps around the house in his new pajamas.

"I hunnngy!" he announced. My heart skipped a beat in anticipation of going back in the kitchen to make another mess. We DID eat dinner early… well. On time. So I thought he might actually be hungry. But my Little Man always misunderstands the signal for tired and calls it hungry.

"No. What you feel is tired." The Man informed Little Man. "Just look at the guys on your pajamas! They're yawning." I looked up to examine the boy's pjs, having no recollection of any yawning from when I bought them. There were little monster looking things with sharp horrible teeth, mouths wide open to take a bite all over my baby. I'm not kidding, they're footy pajamas and the little guys are the entire pattern. I grimaced at The man.

"I never noticed how awful those are! I just saw silly little creatures in fun bright colors and the words ON SALE next to them. They must have been on sale because they're Halloween pajamas." I said already laughing. "My poor baby! We put him to bed in monster covered Jammies?"

"Look at 'em," The Man directed and demonstrated the evil wide open mouths, adding scary arms "They're horrifying"

"Commear baby!" I pulled a thumb sucking Little Man into my lap, turning him sideways like a wittle baby. "Be my little sweetie baby! Awww… look you are my little baby, my last baby." Little Man struggled to sit back up. "That's exactly what you've always done, even when you were a baby." I told him, laughing. "Now take your monster covered self and get to bed."

He scampered off to the bathroom to brush his teeth with the girls. They finished before him, bolting out the door and up the stairs. "I finished!" Little Man announced to them proudly while they were in mid-flee.

"Good for you!" The niece sassily responded. She turns nine in a month and WOWZA the terrible tweens are on their way! Or rather… all of our sarcasm is finally making it's escape from her sweet disposition self.

"Poor Little Man," The Man lamented. "He's going to be one tough sob."

"No. He's always going to be a big softie marshmallow hiding in monster pajamas, just like you." I teased The Man. He stood up in front of the chair, getting up out of the chair like an old man and then suddenly posing in mock muscle man positions, revealing the very real muscles that had recently popped back out prominently due to work. Little Man and I oooohed and aaaaahhhed in appreciation. It was obvious The Man was about to fall asleep on his feet.. it was after seven thirty after all. "Better get you guys in bed," I sighed "Your monsters are yawning."

No comments:

Post a Comment