Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Fool For Dancing

The Thongs were not that pleased about it, either. Prior to this, their drunken swerving and bizarre squatting had been the biggest show in the dive. I was about to raise the bar. So to speak. Not in quality, mind you, in fun. Tyler was watching me with an amused expression on his face from our table. I knew he had no idea of the magic that was about to happen. Well, the magic that would happen as soon as the dj started playing something good. I wasn't going to wait around on that and headed to his "booth".

"Hey there Mr. Tats." I greeted him by acknowledging his sleeves. Anyone who goes to that much trouble to look different wants it noticed.  "Are you getting ready to play some old school hip hop for me?"

"I'm not even a dj." He admitted sheepishly., ducking his shaved smooth head.

"You're telling me!" I teased him. "I'm not even a dancer, so if you fake it and I fake it we'll both be impressed. Problem is, the moves I have are old so you gotta play old stuff so I feel retro and funky." He gestured for me to join him behind the counter, staring at the computer screen. I scrolled through the crap listed and pointed out what I wanted. It wasn't easy, most of it was country but I managed to find a few songs that would make a nice start.  "That's a good set, then you play some shit so that everyone goes and orders another drink."

"Everybody?" he asked

"Well, in this case me and The Thongs but I bet in a song or two at least all the ladies will be dancing."

"What are The Thongs?"

"You're going to pretend you haven't noticed the three Ts lined up just above the stools at the bar?" I asked him, enjoying his grin when he realized what I was talking about.

"Nothing wrong with that." He said and I pretended not to notice that his ears were turning red.

"I didn't say there was, did I?" I asked as I backed out from behind the counter onto the now empty linoleum and waited  with exaggerated patience for him to click play. Soon enough the song started thumping and I tried to get in the mood and pretend everyone there wasn't staring at me. I bounced along a little, threw in some running man. A little jumping jack here, the hokey-pokey there. And always, always plenty of hips.  Soon enough I was grinning at Tyler back at our table as the dance area filled up around me with smiling Thongs and protesting cowboys.  Suddenly we were all old friends.

One of The Thongs asked me "Show me how to do the c-step."

"What's a see step?" I asked her.

"That thing you do, it's a perfect c-step."

"Oh. I don't know what a c step is. I just watch other people and copy them. Not here," I admitted when she glanced around skeptically "I'm from Portland."

"Well what about that thing when you swing back to the floor like that? I think I will fall down if I try."

"If you do fall down just spin around and people will think you're break dancing" I advised.

She looked mildly peeved that I wouldn't be giving her a dance lesson but still pouted when I said I was ready for a break.

Sauntering over to Tyler and my drink I asked "Having fun yet?"

"How did you get everyone out there so fast?" he asked amazed.

"They all want to dance, they just don't want to look foolish, since I already had that covered they went ahead and got up there."

"You make it look fun." He observed

"Nah, it is fun. Come on, you wanna get out there and rub up on some Thongs?"

"Not yet," He nodded toward his beer "Not all of us are drinking the hard stuff."

"I only drink with purpose." I laughed "I've never been one to fuck around doing things half way you know."

"You going to get drunk?" He asked

"No. I'm buzzing enough now, I'll maintain that a little longer and then switch to Shirleys. Looks like the pool table opened up." I observed that Trouble and her boyfriend were no where to be seen.

"Yeah, they went outside awhile ago. Do you want to play pool?"

"Not really, but I will if you really wanna and you let me cheat."

"Nah, I'll get that guy to play."

"Suit yerself." I grinned. "I'm moving closer to the dance floor, care to join me?" We carried our shit to another, larger table between the pool table and the dance floor. Within an hour it was full. Most of the bar was congregating around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment