Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Damn

Shortly after posting me last blog the power went out again and stayed out until about fifteen minutes ago. The funny thing about losing electricity is how long it takes to believe it. One moment you're musing out loud to The Man that the newscasters are either drunk or actually off their rockers now that we're a week into our twenty four hour coverage of the Arctic Blast of 2008, the next the television makes that sucking sound that happens when power stops in the wire and it's over folks. OVER.

So you all laugh and light candles and it's a jolly romantic atmosphere with the fireplace lit and the children's eyes all round with the wonder of it all. You think; who needs tv anyway? Every channel is those ridiculously sauced newscasters telling us what we already know anyway. I'll go run up and check my blog.

Damn.

Well. That's okay. It's really the silence that's killing us. I'll just turn on some music.

Double Damn.

Gosh. Oh well. It's getting cold in here, a long hot shower would really feel good about now…

Triple Slam Damn!

I lit nearly every candle I had. All thirty of them. Some white long, slow burning emergency candles and the rest a strange assortment of scents making our home smell like potpourri in a refrigerator. I saved a couple in case we would be doing this for a long, long time. I sat at the dining room table and tried to sew surrounded by ten of the candles. You really can't see much by candle light though. The children were going bonkers around me. Sliding their bodies along on the floor. Screaming obscenities. (Little Man has discovered the eff word and he LIKES it.) He climbed up into a chair next to me saying "I sit you Mama."

"Hey, Little Man! Can you say a wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa?"

"No that's funny!"

"Come on, sing it with me, a wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa" He finally decided to join me …

"weeemo wa wa weee weee mo wa wa"

"Help him Sis. A wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa a wee mo wa…" and she did. She's done this before. I reminded her, "Now when I point at you I want to hear "hey hey hey!" okay?" and she nodded…. They continued the wee mo was over and over in a loop, I used my hand to keep them in time and then I took a deeep deeeeep breath of  air, getting ready to raise my voice in the high funny pitch for my lines "IN THE JUNGLE THE MIGHTY JUNGLE THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT!!!" Little Man nearly crapped himself laughing. I gestured for them to keep the wee mo was coming "IN THE JUNGLE THE QUIET JUNGLE THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT!"

I pointed at Sis and she came in with, "HEY HEY HEY! WHOOOOOAH! WHOOOOAH! WHOOOOOOOOOOOH!" I grinned with pride.

"HUSH MY DARLING DON'T CRY MY DARLING THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT!!!" We sang ever song I could remember there in front of the fire.

Then I read four chapters of Little House out loud  and at about 7:45pm we all crawled under our mountains of blankets and slept the night through.

No comments:

Post a Comment