Thursday, December 18, 2008

He's Says I'm More Opinionated Now

“OH!”

“What?” He looked at me, startled. We were finishing up our dinner at the table. All the kids had already finished and scraped and ran off.

“Nothing, I just meant to ask you something. I was writing today about how people change when they’re together and I wanted to ask you what you thought was different about me since we got together.”  I looked at him expectantly.

“Well. You’re more opinionated.” My eyes got wide and I laughed out loud. “Well, not that you’re MORE opinionated just that you actually say what you’re thinking. All the time.” He had that teasing smile on, but we were on thin ice at the same time.

“WHAT!?” I was frustrated already knowing he wouldn’t elaborate in a way that would satisfy me.

“What did you say had changed about me? Did you say you changed me? Was this another let‘s talk about how awful The Man is blog?”

“No, I think it’s partly just the timing of it. We’ve also aged seven years since we met. Almost seven years. Is it seven?”

“I think so. I think last April we figured it was six so this April will be seven. Don’t change the subject, what did you say?”

“I mentioned that you’re better at handling your temper, is all.”

“Oh well that’s true.” He pushed his bowl, now empty of stew, away from him, wiping his mouth on a napkin.

“Do you remember the time I got out of the car and walked off?” I grinned, laughing as I started to clear the table and walk stuff to the dishwasher.

“Yeah. I remember.” His eyes glazed, remembering back that far. He was helping load and rinse. “Now I would have just left you there.”  He slapped my rear affectionately.

“You would not.” I laughed, outraged. “ Then, why didn’t you then?”

“I didn’t think you would come back.”

“Well, you were right.” I closed the door on the dishwasher and pushed the button to start the cycle. “I wouldn’t now either.”

“You think so, huh. He put me over his shoulder and carried me toward the bedroom. “I think we should discuss this in the room where I’m in charge.”  When we got there Little Man was hot on our heals.

“What you dooooing?” He asked with eyes shining as if he were in on the cosmic joke. 'Me too! Up Daddy! Up! Put Mama doooown here!'

No comments:

Post a Comment