Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Man Saves the Day

If they were choosing teams for power outages in the middle of Arctic Blasts and if for some reason I was a captain I would pick The Man right away. After that I could pick anyone and it wouldn't matter 'cause he has it covered.

This morning I hollered out from under the pile of blankets keeping the cold at bay "Heeeey! Baby!?!"

"What do you need?" He asked cheerfully. He was in his element. He had gotten up gawd knows when to light the fire that he said raised he temperature in the house by twenty degrees. Now the children were dressed in multiple layers of clothing (I could hump old navy for making fleece lined jeans right now) and munching on cereal and peanut butter on bread with their little boxes of juice beside them.

"Could you warm up the toilet seat for me?" I asked half joking. I felt I might wet the bed any minute but couldn't make myself crawl out from under the covers.

"Alright. How long do you want me to sit on it?"

"As long as it takes to get it piping hot!" As soon as he came out I dashed out of bed grabbing clothes and pulling them on this way and that, my skin balking at the cold and the layering all at once. The seat was moderately warmed up.

Soon as I was up and about The Man started putting his boots and outdoor clothes on. "I'm going to dig us out of here." he announced as though that were the natural thing to do. "We need milk and dew and more candles."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I asked him doubtfully. The drift across the road was no small drift. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"To the store?" he asked

"To dig."

"Well. Lil Dew does want to go out and play so if you wanted to bring the kids out to play you could"

So he did dig us out. The neighbor and his son in law joined him with actual big snow shovels. Apparently the son in law and their family is trying to get to the airport to fly out today.  And I brought the kids out. About the time we were all out there kicking snow around and turning our faces out of the bitter wind the power came back on. We all cheered.

I made cocoa.

I started the dishwasher.

I sat on the heat vent.

I love electricity. LOVE IT.

He's getting ready to go get dew and whatnot right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment