Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Pickle of a Nickle

We were all loaded up in the two vehicles, up on Crown Point. Well, all of us except Muddy . He was still in the Vista House. We waited a bit, passing the time by discussing the probable distance I could still travel with my gas needle hovering above empty. Finally, I was sent to retrieve him. I found him in the gift shop purchasing something. He ended up with a handful of change.

"aww man. That sucks. Now you have all that change."  I commiserated with him.

"What's the matter with that?" he asked me.

"Nothing. I just try to never have change. I almost never HAVE change. I say we get rid of all the change. But they're trying to get everyone using the dollar coin now."

"It's better, though."

"I know, I know. The environment."

"They could get rid of some of it. You have the dimes and the pennies, and the pickles." I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was pulling my leg, laughter already bubbling up.

"the pickles?" I asked him, grinning and laughing. He started laughing too. "You mean nickels? Because I like pickles, I don't want you getting rid of all the pickles!"

"You LIKE pickles?"

"You DON'T like pickles!?"

"No, they're so vinegary. I don't like vinegar."

"Me either. But I like pickles." I looked over at him sideways as we walked along. I still couldn't tell if he had truly thought nickels were pickles. "Not to be confused with nickels, which I want nothing to do with."


He just smiled, revealing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment