Friday, October 31, 2008

Random Bits With a New View

* There are stairs. The good news is, my ass is already feeling the difference. Woot! The bad news is I'm on the edge of a mental breakdown from the stress of trying to keep my toddler from hurling himself all the way down them. And those are just the stairs to the upper floor! There are also stairs going down to the basement, a place I feel I need rarely go to but happens to have the washer and dryer in it. I don't let the kids on those stairs. I have to wait until I'm mostly certain they're not about to die on the other stairs, grab a basket of laundry and shut the door tight behind me before gripping the railing and carefully stepping down them.

* It's big. And drafty. So it's cold. Because it's oil heat. I know, we're insane. When I say WE I mean The Man. Apparently we've already consumed an INCH of oil. So I have to keep the heat down low. I dress myself and the kids in layers. I know I've mentioned I already did that in the warm house. My layering has reached new heights of lumpy frumpy craziness. It's bayad, people. I'm wearing fucking UNDERWEAR! Then when The Man gets home he happily builds a fire and we all huddle together in the living room like it's little house on the prairie! My gawd it's only October people! It's not even cold yet! The Man loves it of course. He has an internal furnace.

*I bake everyday now. For two reasons. ONE, it means I get to "slave" over a hot oven. Oh delicious hot air! Oh how I love you! I could just crawl right in there and bake myself! TWO, I'm starving. It's because I'm cold. I've lost weight, trying to keep warm. I don't know for sure because I haven't been on a real scale in two years but I can tell. So it's necessary for me to consume muffins and cookies and cake and biscuits regularly throughout the day. The children are thrilled of course. The Man also finds this behavior highly endearing, calling me Betty Crocker for three hours until he figured out I was sending him death glares for it. Then he shrugged and ate another chocolate chip cookie.

*There's no sex in the new house. *gasp* I know. LESS sex than before? CRAZY! The thing is…. I can hardly sleep with my eight year old so far away (upstairs) let alone the baby. So he's still sleeping with us. How can I tuck him in his bed up there and wonder all night when he's going to wander out and fall to his death down the stairs? But he's been sleeping with us for a long time. The real deal breaker is The Man's too tired. He's back to building actual scaffolding. No more sales position for him. He couldn't take all the lying. So he's worn out. I gotta tell ya though, the bulging muscles are not bad. Not bad at all. I swear to you people, he's rippling.

* I went down to the Corbett School the other day with all three kids to pick up the paper work for enrollment. The kind woman at the front desk took one look at me and the three kids and said "If you fill these out here and turn them in, they can start tomorrow"     ahahahahahahah! She could see the desperation in my eyes!! Ahaha! I laughed and told her Monday would be fine. The school is beautiful, the hallways are wider than most schools and then they open up to these group areas with tables and stuff between the classrooms. It's hard to describe the way you can just feel right in a place. But we did. And that's what it's all about folks. The school. *wraps quilt tighter around self*

No comments:

Post a Comment